No one can deny the fact that in the coming few years, solar energy will become the mainstream power in the whole world. Even today, it is considered to be the most powerful and popular forms of basic renewable energy. Based on its few common advantages & disadvantages, it is important to make use of it in different ways as it is required. The reason why transparent solar panels are becoming extremely popular is due to its portable and flexible nature. As solar technology has been improving, you will experience that flexible solar panels are having extra ability to produce more solar energy as compared to conventional solar panels.
Based on transparency rates and capacity, transparent solar panels are categorized into different types. They are generally designed in a thin like film structure which you can use on window panes. In comparison, traditional solar panels are heavier and they can only be installed over open spaces or rooftops.
Right through this guide, we have explained all the major elements related to the use of transparent solar panels with its pros and cons. Let’s have a look!
Introduction about Transparent Solar Panels
Transparent solar panels have an excellent ability with which they can generate maximum electricity through car sunroofs, office windows, or even through your smartphones. You can deploy them into different settings which range from any skyscraper with bigger sized widows or even mobile devices including laptops or e-reader. This technology is having a high potential in which it can virtually transform any building in the US into a piece of the solar producer.
Working Procedure of Solar Panel Windows
The main reason to use a transparent solar panel is that it makes the use of solar cells with which it absorbs light and converts it into power. As the solar gas is fully transparent, the sunlight will be passing through its medium a defeat the entire purpose of using sunlight. But the transparent solar panel has completely changed the whole scenario of how solar cells readily absorb the light.
Solar cells will harness a small portion of the solar spectrum which is not visible for any naked eye. But it will allow normal visible light to easily pass through it. Have a look at the image below about how organic salts within a transparent solar panel will absorb both visible & in-visible light:
These organic salts will absorb infrared and UV which is occurring outside the visible spectrum so it can appear fully transparent. TLSC is composed of some basic organic salts which are specifically designed for absorbing invisible UV as well as the infrared wavelength of lights. This fresh wavelength will, later on, be guided towards the edge of window plastic where PV solar cells will convert it into electricity.
As soon as the mass production for the transparent solar panel will be started, TLSC will start the delivery of a great efficiency which will be around 10%. For the office or home windows, this percentage is quite transformative.
Overview of 2 Main Types of Transparent Solar Panels
We all know the fact that all the solar roof panels are generally produced by using various technologies. The same is the case with solar windows, which are developed through the use of various techniques. Transparent solar panels are divided into two main types such as fully transparent and partial panels. Let’s discuss both one by one:
• Partially transparent solar panels
The partial solar panel was introduced by a German manufacturer named Heliatek Gmb. In this type of solar panel, just 60% of the sunlight is absorbed which it receives. In comparison with the conventional solar cells, these solar panels are having a set lower efficiency to almost 7.1%.
Nevertheless, the generation of solar power can even be increased through a balancing adjustment between sunlight which is absorbed and transmitted. These partially transparent solar panels are used in those office buildings which are installed with tinted glass.
• Fully transparent solar panels
Next, we have fully transparent solar panels! These panels are photovoltaic which quite a lot resembles a regular glass. Moreover, the efficiency level of fully transparent solar panels is almost 10% once the commercial production starts.
As we talk about solar panel windows, it is not just the efficiency of the solar panel which plays a vital role. Any solar window with less efficiency means that the size of the window has to be larger for generating a similar quantity of electricity.
List of Important Pros & Cons of Transparent Solar Panels
• These solar panels are accountable for producing an extra amount of power for your home or commercial office. So definitely it’s a worthwhile piece of investment for your house or office location.
• To increase the electrical power of your house electronic devices, this solar panel is the best option for you. It is not just helpful to increase electricity power, but it is equally important to save your electricity cost.
• These solar panels even remove off the high complexity of using any sort of traditional solar panels.
• There is no need to involve any sort of chore for establishing these portable solar cells inside your home or office buildings.
• Once you have installed these solar panels, they will bring a high power efficiency which is better as compared to other traditional solar counterparts.
• They are extremely portable and lightweight. You can easily carry them from one location to another without any hassle.
• Through the use of transparent solar cells, you can even lessen the usage of your coal.
• These solar panels are normally producing a lesser amount of power. Therefore, there is a need to purchase larger solar cells to power your whole house.
• Besides, these panels will not be able to completely power up the current electronic accessories for your house.
• In case if you are buying solar cells, there is also a need to purchase an extra packed accessory to fully operate the panels/cells.
• Furthermore, intermittent sunlight can show its effect on the overall performance of translucent solar panels due to which it won’t be able to produce enough amount of power.
• These solar panels are made out of glass material for which you need to be extra careful while handling it. Your wrong handling can even break it.
What is the best Alternative of Solar Panels for your House?
If in case you are not able to afford the installation of solar panels, then the best alternative for your office or house would be using solar panel blinds. There are known to be the perfect supplement for any transparent panel or solar glass while you are using your house window for generating electricity. These power panels are generally used for harvesting extra amounts of sunlight for producing maximum energy.
The main function of these window blinds is to block the direct entrance of the sun rays to step inside your house or office room. They are constructed through the combination of two different divergent functions. It has been claimed that these solar blinds will cut off your energy cost to almost 70%.
You have a full choice to either install these blinds inside the house or the outdoor areas. The positioning and angle of these blinds are controlled through the use of an app with which you can also know about the basic energy generation figures.
Frequently Asked Questions about Solar Panels
1. What is the best alternative to solar panels?
If you cannot afford solar panels, then choosing wind power is the best option for you. They are extra efficient as compared to solar because they use lesser energy. They release less amount of carbon dioxide and hence produce more amount of energy. A single wind turbine has the ability in which it can generate that amount of electricity which is equal to 1000 solar panels.
2. Which are the 3 most common types of solar panels?
The 3 most common types of solar panels are Monocrystalline solar panels as well as Polycrystalline solar panels and thin film (amorphous) solar panels.
3. Can you use solar panels underwater?
It has been investigated that yes, you can develop solar cells that can work smoothly underwater. The specific amount of power that is produced by these cells will be used to spur some chemical reactions for converting greenhouses gases into 100%.
4. Which is the top best product of solar panels in the market?
SunPower can produce higher efficiency of monocrystalline solar panels. X22 is having a superior efficiency of 22.7% which makes it come across as the perfect solar panel in today’s market.
5. What happens when a solar panel stops operating?
All the solar systems normally store their solar energy inside battery power. So if you are not having enough amount of sunlight to power up your panels, you can use the power stored inside the battery. While you are using the battery bank, solar energy will not be lost out.